Monday, April 6, 2015

Day 826: A Pop Of Color

I asked my roommates what I should blog about today, mostly due to the fact that my waking hours have been spent either doing laundry, cleaning, heading back to school, in rehearsals for one of two performances this week or doing homework. Suggestions this time included: Lord of the Rings, strawberry jam, Walt Disney's Mother, and, yes, a pop of color.

The saxophone quartet on campus that I'm a part of has our concert of the semester tomorrow night, which is our only regular performance in addition to recitals throughout the year. Regardless of whether we're playing on a chamber concert or on someone's recital, our general dress code is black with "a pop of color." The last performance, I wore my Bert Disneybound, which was all black with a red scarf, perfect for the recital and for the March Disneybound Challenge, but tomorrow I'm just going with all black and a bright coral blouse underneath my black blazer.

Regardless, this led to the suggestion of making the idea of "a pop of color" into an entire blog post. Generally, when I ask them to suggest something, they rattle off various ideas until one sticks, and this one just happened to work. In fact, as I've been writing this post, I've come up with various ways this all relates to Disney, and apparently "a pop of color" was the perfect suggestion for today!

First off, you may or may not have noticed the new social media icons in the side bar, depending on how you look at the blog and how long you've been reading. I know they don't show on mobile, so you'll have to put it in desktop mode to see them. I'm pretty proud of these new icons, partly because of the effort it took to create them and partly because they do add, you guessed it, a pop of color to the page...as if Everyday Disney needed more of that. When I think back to designing Everyday Disney, I knew I wanted it to be something that is easy to work with, and the blank white certainly makes my life easier. As long as any graphic for a sidebar or header has a white background, I'm good to go. But having an all white blog also means you need to bring in color somehow, and elements like the social media icons are the perfect solution.



In case you were wondering, the above is what the social media icons looked like before they made their way onto my computer. Since I don't have a scanner at home, I had to take a picture of them and then transfer that into my computer, remove the background so it was in PNG format, brighten them up at bit to make up for the low lighting I had and then add a white background and text so it would appear correctly online, all before setting them in HTML format. That sounds a lot harder than it actually was. It just took time, and I'm extremely proud of the outcome, especially since all the social media options are listed now, including both my personal social media and the official media for Everyday Disney.

But that's not the only way "a pop of color" fought its way into my mind today when forming this post. As you all know very well, the Flower and Garden Festival of Epcot continues, and I'm definitely still jealous I'm not there. I follow several people on Instagram who work down at Disney World and the flowers this year just look brilliant. It makes me wish I had taken more photos when I was at the festival last year, and it also enhances my want to go back in, hopefully, the near future. If you haven't already, check out some of the tags for the Festival on Instagram. It'll definitely be worth your while and brighten your day!

Other than that, I'd better hurry up and finish this post so I can get to bed. Those Fastpasses won't schedule themselves in the morning!

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment