Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Day 793: Guardians of the Galaxy

The past few years have left me extremely behind when it comes to Disney movies and actually going out to see them in the theater. In fact, within the past two weeks I watched a total of three different films that came out last year, and now I'm faced with a whole slew of new ones that I really should get around to watching (not to mention the fact that I haven't watched a film on my Disney Animated Film Rewatch in AGES). But alongside Big Hero 6, which I talked about a few blog posts ago, I also finally got the chance to see Guardians of the Galaxy, which I knew literally nothing about aside from the fact that it starred Chris Pratt and his character, Starlord, dressed a disturbing amount like Emma Swan:


I did, however, really enjoy the movie. I can definitely see why it did so well at the box office and many fans went to see it more than once (I loved it so much that it came back with me to school and then home again for Spring Break, just in case I wanted to watch it again...which I do...only it seems there's no time for such things...sigh). I'm not really sure WHY I liked it so much, aside from the fact that it's basically a mix of all of my favorite fandoms. It's like this perfect combination of Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Star Trek with hints of Harry Potter and Once Upon A Time (please review the above picture), and a slew of other things that really just made it super enjoyable.

Aside from the fandom combinations, I thought that the incorporation of the 80's elements was brilliant. It made the film different, because it's not everyday you see something set in the present day alternate universe and space that also has continuous references to a very real time period that has come and gone. It did, on the other hand, make me very aware of how much I actually really know when it comes to music from the 80's. I can't decide if that has something to do with my high school pep band days or just the fact that music from the 80's is still so popular today, but whatever it is, I loved the soundtrack.

My favorite character? Probably Starlord, because just who doesn't love him? You kind of have to love him, especially when he's the main character. Alright, so that's a lie, you can definitely not like Starlord if you wish...but we all love Groot, right?

Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on March 16 due to Midterms).

No comments:

Post a Comment