Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Day 743: Lizzy

This morning, after spending an extended amount of time in bed with my cat because I didn't go to sleep last night until around 2 in the morning (thanks very much 11 hours of work yesterday), I finally made it to my kitchen, where I am now, and to my laptop to begin today's 11 hours of work. Don't ask me how this all equals out, because if I work 11 hours today I'll be up until like 3 in the morning, but band trip videos just don't edit themselves you know.

Anyway, as I scrolled through my list of blogs I follow, the second suggestion was one directly from Disney, specifically Oh My Disney. You all know how this is probably my favorite blog on the internet, but that's besides the point. The article, this time, was about "Life Before Becoming a Disney Fan vs. Life After," and it just so happens to fit in perfectly with something I did this morning as well as something I talked about a few weeks ago.

Personally, I don't really have a life before becoming a Disney fan. I've always been a Disney fan, as I explained to a friend on Facebook this morning who happened to ask me why I'm at Disney so much. The answer is simple, or at least more simple that you might think. It's other people that make it complicated. My family loves Disney, and while we all love different parts of Disney, there's still that central love, and it's been our vacation destination since before I was even born. So as we grew up with Disney, it became ridiculous to even think about traveling somewhere else. That other vacation costs just as much and means less time at Disney, so no thank you.

This isn't to say that I don't want to travel to other places in the world. After all, thanks to one Colin O'Donoghue, I have the extreme wish to visit Ireland, and I certainly couldn't mind seeing France or Italy or pretty much anywhere in Europe. Oh, and don't even get me started on my want to visit Steveston, in Canada, where they film OUAT. But all of these things still mean less time at Disney, and ultimately, when it boils down to it, I always choose Disney, even when that means not visiting WDW and instead opting for Disneyland (you have no idea how excited I am).

So I haven't had a life without Disney, but that doesn't mean I can't relate to this article, which you can read HERE. The difference is, I don't see these things as stuff before and after Disney Fandom as much as I see them as things in and out of the Disney fandom. These are universal Disney truths we're discussing here, and the rest of the world just obviously doesn't understand.

However, one of them really stood out to me, and that's "Lizzie McGuire." As Oh My Disney narrates, "BBDF: That show that was on Disney Channel, maybe? It was a while ago...ABDF: Potentially the most important television program of our era."

For those that didn't live in the Lizzie McGuire age, I feel sorry for you. Back in the day (gosh I feel like I'm old now), we watched shows like Phil of the Future, That's So Raven and even The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, but it was really Lizzie McGuire that hit it all off, at least for my generation. This show isn't even arguably the most important...it just IS the most important. And for me, even more so.

My full name is Elizabeth, although it may or may not be spelled incorrectly on my birth certificate. Either way, I'm one of those lucky people faced with a life of nicknames. The most common, obviously, is Lizzie, and that's what I eventually picked, but there's also Beth and Liz and Eliza and who knows what else.

But the biggest problem in my life? Lizzy. Who in the world spells Lizzie with a Y? I mean, no offense if you do, but why? My brother pointed out last week that it'd be like spelling Jonny with an "IE" (Jonnie), and that looks ridiculous, but I still don't quite get it. If you haven't caught on already, the point here is that Lizzie McGuire was more than just a show for me...it was the show that inspired my nickname. I've said for years that the reason I spell my name with an "IE" is because that's how they spelled it on the show, and that's 100% true. I was awesome for me to be able to identify with a character on television who had the same name as me, and I certainly wish that Lizzie McGuire was still around for this new generation to experience. How these kids live without Miranda and Gordo I'm not even sure.

Plus, have you even seen the Lizzie McGuire movie? Those songs get stuck in your head for AGES.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment