Saturday, October 18, 2014

Day 656: Eddie's Million Dollar Cook-Off

Because I live in a Dorm Room, I don't get to cook very often. It's sort of nice because you just don't have to worry about actually making the food you're going to eat for dinner. You just go to the caf instead and hope that there's something that you like there (although it seems to me that this year we have hamburgers more than we would really want). Regardless, I don't spend a lot of my time cooking and baking, which really makes me sad.

So when I go home on the weekends, or at least when I have a rare completely free weekend at home, I actually get a chance to work in my kitchen. It doesn't really make my mom super happy though because I probably leave more dishes in the sink than she thought possible, but there are always great cupcakes that come out of it in the end!

This particular weekend I was in charge of making cupcakes for our church's annual Chili Dump, where everyone brings a pot of chili and they dump it all together. It ends up tasting really great, despite what you might think. So I set about making cupcakes, specifically brownie batter and dole whip cupcakes, but that's another blog post. I also made spaghetti and meatballs (Which was CaptainSwan inspired and absolutely delicious), meaning I literally spent the entire day in the kitchen.

A few hours into this day-long adventure I finally decided that since I couldn't technically leave the kitchen, I would find my laptop and pull up a movie I haven't seen in a really, really, long time: Eddie's Million Dollar Cook-Off. This is one of those old Disney Channel Original Movies, back when they were actually really really good and you wanted to rewatch them. Like the SmartHouse age, or The Luck of the Irish. Gosh I miss those films (and will probably end up rewatching a ton of them sooner than later now that I've started with Eddie's).

But Eddie's Million Dollar Cook-Off, of all the Disney Channel Original Movies, really holds a special place in my heart. If you don't remember the film or have never seen it, basically it's about a kid named Eddie who's father really wants him to play baseball but in reality he really loves cooking. Bobby Flay is in it and it's just a wonderful film, especially if you love cooking like I do. In fact, it occurred to me while watching it that this movie is probably one of the reasons I do love cooking and baking, and it's most certainly the reason I learned how to crack an egg with one hand.

There's more though. It turns out my life is basically one giant circle. I'm watching the movie and all of a sudden I come across a familiar face: Rose McIver! She plays Tinkerbell on Once Upon A Time, meaning that I was basically meant to love cooking and baking and OUAT. I mean, at least, I'm going to take it as a sign.

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on October 19).

No comments:

Post a Comment