Saturday, September 27, 2014

Day 635: Too Much Data

I've been spending a good amount of my recent life working on Disney stuff, specifically the band trip video for the 2014 SHS Band Trip to Walt Disney World. People ask me about it all the time, and all I can tell you right now is that it's a slow process and that I'm asking for patience. It's a huge undertaking, and if you don't believe me...here's a few statistics about my video editing for you.

My family got our new 1080p Video Camera in 2012. Since then, it's been to Walt Disney World 5 times I believe, meaning that I can use just about any of that video in the band trip video. I totaled the amount of video this morning, just out of curiosity, and as of right now on my computer and hard drive, I have over 33 hours of footage, and there's probably another 6 or 7 hours on my mom's laptop, which I'll be transferring over next weekend. Yes, that's not a typo, 33 hours.

And then there's pictures. Oh gosh...pictures. This total I just came up with sort of makes me want to cry a little bit. There are 5,173 pictures (including shorter videos from Band Members) from the June Trip. This is both a dream and a nightmare. It's a dream because a video is very difficult to make without pictures from the entire group. On the last band trip video I made, I had a spectacular total of around 150 pictures. In comparison to 5,000. I have more pictures from one person this trip than I had total the last one. In fact, Megan at least tripled that number alone. (Good job Shovell).

So what does this mean for me? It means a hell of a lot of watching video and editing and probably falling asleep while I do so. Since I'll be reaching the point where this Disney video really comes into play soon, I need to go through all these videos and find the ones that I really, really need. Things like specific attractions, putting it all in a list so I know where to go later and find them without having to search for hours on end for two seconds of video.

Am I complaining? Yeah, a little bit. But I love editing video and I just want to assure the band that while this is going to take some time, it'll be worth it. I spent a HUGE amount of time preparing for this video, which I hope will be more like a film than a plain old band trip video or slideshow, and from where I sit now, it appears to be paying off.

A bit of advice though...HD Video cameras are great, and I love my vlogs and creating videos...but don't get into this kind of thing unless you have the time and energy to do it. I have time...but I definitely need more coffee.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment