Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 616: Martin Short

This is the story of how Martin Short basically saved my life.

In college, you may have a foreign language requirement that you must fulfill in order to get your degree. We have one of those here at SNC, and that means that for the next two semesters (this one and next one) I must struggle through French class. Alright, so maybe struggle is a bit harsh, since as long as I actually do my work I feel I'll be alright, but it isn't a piece of cake, that's for sure. 

Today was our very first French test. We have one at the end of each chapter and when you get around to that first test or paper for a new professor you have this absolute terror that you're going to do something wrong. You don't know what the format is going to be or exactly what you should study, and you almost always forget to study something. 

For me, that thing was the "history" section. It wasn't really as much history as it was general questions about the French speaking world, but needless to say, I could not for the life of me remember the answer about how many people in the world speak French. The other portion of the question asked if there were any areas on the North American continent that speak French, and the answer to that question is pretty darn easy. 

As we should all well know, parts of Canada do indeed speak French, and that's most certainly part of North America. My mind, in the middle of taking this French Test, went straight to Epcot, and I tried to remember as much as I could about the section where Martin Short talks about speaking French. I couldn't remember all that much, but I wrote up an answer that had something to do with the various French speaking countries around the world and how it's one of the most popular languages in the world. Seemed like a good answer to me. 

So, in a way, Martin Short saved my life today. Possibly. Obviously the test isn't graded yet so I have no clue if my answer actually worked, but I'll keep you posted on that one. 

Have a magical day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment