Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 517: IT'S HAPPENED!

It's funny, because this is one of those things where I knew about it, but I couldn't really tell you guys until I knew for sure and it actually went through, but now that everything's done with, I can finally share some super exciting news with you!

If you follow me on Instagram, this might already be old news (in fact it should be), or if you're friends with me on facebook, where I released the news a number of weeks ago when I first found out. But for those of you in neither category, it's time for me to share something really awesome!

One of my instagram photos was chosen to be features on the official Walt Disney World Instagram and as you well know, this is a pretty big deal for me. I LOVE Instagram. In fact, it's probably my favorite form of social media, and I LOVE Disney, obviously, so putting the two together is just about my favorite thing ever. But to be featured on the official instagram? That's crazy, even for me. It's like one of those things where you really really wish it would happen, but you know the chances of it going down are super small so you just kind of push it to the back of your mind and then all of a sudden it happens and surprises you like no other.



The story behind how it all went down is pretty funny though. I actually took the picture while half walking. It was on my March trip, and my brother and I like to walk the back route between Tomorrowland and Storybook Circus. You know, the pathway that goes beyond Space Mountain's Gift Shop, past the speedway and the train, as well as the little dog park that sits over there, leading right up to the Barnstormer (Oops, Great Goofini), and the Train Station? That pathway. Along there, you can find the target that's in the picture, and we were about to walk by it when I told my brother to hold up for a minute while I snapped a quick picture with my phone. That tends to be how things work out. I'll have the video camera in one hand and my phone in the other, both of them on and taking pictures. It gets pretty crazy to tell the truth. So I catch a picture and I don't think anything else of it. Then, a while later (I believe it was actually after I got home), I posted the picture on Instagram and again, didn't think much of it. I post Disney pictures all the time, so why should this one be any different?

Fast forward like a week or so. I'm sitting at my desk in my dorm room working on homework (I think it was sociology, but I could be wrong), and my phone is sitting there in case someone texts me and so on and so forth. Out of the corner of my eye, I happen to see a notification pop up on the screen, since I get Instagram notifications only when people follow me, comment, or tag me (doing it for every favorite would just be ridiculous at this point). All I read was "@WaltDisneyWorld commented on your phone:" and I was like OH MY GOSH. So I'm sitting there at my desk and I'm freaking out and my roommate is like "What's going on?" because I was literally flailing around and jumping off the walls and the only time I ever get like that is when a member of the Once Cast tweets me or something, but I think I was more excited than when that happens (Although, having now experienced it, the tweet from Colin O'Donoghue on July 15 takes the cake in the freak out mode). I tell her, continue freaking out, reply yes to the official instagram and patiently wait for my picture to be used.

It must have been about a month later when it finally went through and was featured, during, of all times, my High School's 2014 Graduation. I'm sitting up in the bleachers of our Field House freaking out because my Instagram notifications are going absolutely insane and, in the end, I was just really happy.

I mean, let's be real here, it's not every day the official Instagram likes your photo so much that they're going to feature it. Let's just check "Be Featured by Walt Disney World" off the bucket list and move onto the next one: "Be Featured by Disneyland!"

Have a magical day!

(This blog post was posted on July 17, 2014). 

No comments:

Post a Comment