Friday, April 11, 2014

Day 466: What Not to Do

Before we get to the actual point of today's post, let's clear something up since I've been all over the place with when I get these blog posts done and it's not going to be normal until after this semester is over. You may have noticed that last Friday there was a lack of a Featured Attraction Friday post. This was on purpose, since I didn't have any attractions planned for this month and just kind of subconsciously made the decision to write other posts instead (because ironically enough I actually have plenty of things I can talk about at the moment). So we're taking a break this month, but next month will be a fun one, I promise! =)

Anyways, onto the actual topic today:

YouTube is a weird place.

You all know that actually, I really do LOVE YouTube. I've made some valuable connections through the website and plenty of friends. I love making my own videos, whether for something for band or one of my Disney vlogs or just for fun. It's actually a great place.

And then there's the fact that, on YouTube, you can learn how to do just about anything. For instance, HERE you can learn how to do your hair in Elsa's Coronation Updo. Miss yesterday's 50th Anniversary "it's a small world" sing-along because most of us aren't at the parks? Click HERE and YouTube has you covered. And, if you've never been to Walt Disney World before and are wonderful whether or not you'll like Expedition Everest? Go HERE and you can virtually face off against the Yeti.

And so, YouTube is full of information and experiences and everything in between. But there's also that side of YouTube that is just a bunch of people talking about Disney and whether or not something is a good idea. This morning I happened to see a video in my suggestions about What Attractions to Skip on your Disney Vacation. So being the curious person I am, and since many of these videos give me a good laugh, I watched.

Well, I laughed alright. And then I came to the conclusion that many of these videos are 100% completely pointless. Alright, maybe not 100% completely pointless, but it's up there. The point here is that no matter what the people say in the videos, it's just their opinion. For those who have never been there before it might offer some valuable insight, but for the most part it's all based on opinion.

For instance, in the video I watched, one of the things that was suggested to skip was Stitch's Great Escape. I agree here. I haven't been on that attraction in years, and it's one of the lowest ranking on my list of attractions I want people to see when my band goes in June. So on that account, sure. Skip it. It's not The Haunted Mansion or Space Mountain, and is therefore probably not worth your time unless you really really REALLY love catching crazy aliens.

But the video also suggested that you skip The Enchanted Tiki Room. I disagree. I don't think it's something you need to see every time (I didn't the past couple trips), but it should not, in any way, be on the list of "Don't Do" attractions. Sure, the Disneyland version is a million times better than the one at Walt Disney World, and the show at Magic Kingdom is only about half of the original, but that attraction was one of the most important historical pieces when it comes to Disney. Many of the other attractions, Pirates and Haunted Mansion included, wouldn't even exist without the creation of The Enchanted Tiki Room, and that's why I feel it should at least rank on the "If you have time" list, because it IS worth your time to go see. It ranks nothing close to Stitch for sure.



Likewise, the video suggests that you skip Muppet Vision 3D, simply because the person doing the video doesn't like the "Old Muppets." I'm sorry, but I'm a huge Muppets fan, and The "Old Muppets" are THE Muppets. Not the new ones. That's how the world works. Now, do I see Muppet Vision every time I go? No, I don't, and I probably won't go to see it with my friends in June. But not because it isn't worth the time. It's simply because I have a whole 5 hours in all of Hollywood Studios with more to see than I have time for. Meanwhile, what wasn't on the list? Lights, Motors, Action. Now, it is MY opinion that it is a huge waste of time, but I would much rather see Muppet Vision, and suggest for others to do the same, than to go sit for two hours to see LMA.

I guess in the end there is no final list of must-see or must-not-see attractions at Walt Disney World, because it's going to be different for all of us. No one is going to have the same opinion when it comes to what's beneficial to your Disney Vacation, and that is why I say these videos are pretty pointless. Just because YOU don't like the Muppets doesn't mean that someone else doesn't. I guess there are a few attractions we can all agree on as a waste of time if you only have one day in the park, but ultimately I think I'd rather experience everything than pick and choose. And for the most part, I have. There's only three attractions I've never been on (Sadly it seems that will be changing in June...*shudder*), and while there are some I enjoy more than others, there's no one right answer for everyone.

I guess what I'm getting at here is sure, go ahead and watch YouTube videos to help plan your Disney trip. But do your own research too. Look ahead and see what you might enjoy, and don't just skip something because someone said you should.

Are there any attractions you automatically skip when at the Disney Parks?

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment